A) Christian Theism is the hypothesis.
B) It is more reasonable to believe in God than to be an atheist.
C) Christian Theism offers a more adequate explanation than atheism does for the following aspects of reality:
- the beginning of the universe– the universe had a beginning and needs a Cause
- the continued existence of the universe– the existence of dependent beings necessitates the existence of a totally independent Being
- the design and order in the universe– the design/information in the universe needs an Intelligence to produce it
- the possibility of human knowledge (human reason)- human reason needs a rational Cause
- the existence of universal, eternal, unchanging truths (logic)- the source for these truths must be an eternal, unchanging Mind
- the reality of universal, eternal, unchanging moral laws- objective morality proves the existence of an eternal, unchanging moral Lawgiver
- the meaning of life (purpose)- if God does not exist, life is absurd
- a reason to be oprtimistic about the future- God and eternal life are needed for eternal hope
- a guarantee that evil will ultimately be defeated- apart from the death, resurrection and return of Jesus there is no guarantee that evil will be defeated
- free will and human responsibility- if only matter exists, then there is no such thing as free will & we are not responsible for our actions.
D) Mere molecules in motion, combined with time and chance, cannot explain any of these factors
E) The atheist must either deny the reality of these aspects of reality or say “they are just there”
*Outline taken from Dr. Phil Fernadez’s lecture on the evidence for God’s existence